Monday, April 15, 2013

Peace River by Jaclyn M. Hawkes

The police didn't understand the danger, but she did. Her father had always been abusive, but now, with a ten million dollar Thoroughbred farm on the line, and a powerful bookie leaning on him, her father had become out of control. But how do you get away and take a world famous stallion with you? Carrie was getting desperate when a handsome and honorable but thoroughly cynical rodeo cowboy from Wyoming happened to show up with a horse trailer. He didn't ride a white horse, but he was definitely a knight in shining armor.

He'll protect her from the mob, but can she survive falling in love with a bull rider?

This isn't the first book I have read by this author, Jaclyn Hawkes but it is definitely my favorite.  I'm thinking it was the good western feel combined with two sexy, yet honorable men and that build up of romance.  Great combination there.

Carrie is a take control kind of girl.  She knows what she has to do and finds a way to do it.  I like Carrie's support group, the farm hands who help and also Carrie's friend at the restaurant.  Even though Carrie is a tough girl with courage, she needs help.  I liked that her vulnerable side came through as well.

I think I have some cowboy love in this book!  Slade is everything hero-ish.  Handsome, strong, kind, tough.  Yup, very nice.  Very, very nice.

The bad guys were bad, there was tension and suspense.  This book had all the makings of a good romantic western suspense.  And it's clean.  That makes me happy.

I got this book and read it way before I should have for this review.  I just couldn't help myself.  I knew it would be in my pleasure zone for reading and well, I wanted to read it.  I've had to wait a long time to actually post my review.  :)  I hear this is the first book in the Rockland Ranch series and I'll be looking forward to the following books!

My thanks to the publisher and author for allowing me to read and review this book.

You can pick up the print or e-book copy of this book on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.