Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Keeping Kate by Lauren Winder Farnsworth

Orphan Kate Evans is determined to make a life for herself on a Utah ranch, taking care of a little girl named Addie. But when she meets her irritable employer, Kate is forced to confront the past she's been running from—and face a future she never dreamed possible. This latter-day twist on the classic Jane Eyre is a romantic and gripping read.


First of all, I'll start out by saying that this is an LDS based book.  It does contain religious elements and some things specific to the LDS religion.  

I am a huge Jane Eyre fan.  It's one of my favorite old classics.  It's what drew me to the re-telling of this book.  I didn't fall in love with this book.  I liked it- some parts more than others.  Some moments had me rolling my eyes and questioning the characters and their motivations and actions.  I feel like the development wasn't always there to convince me of what was happening.  There was a lot of drama that really felt like drama.

The cover is pretty, the setting was perfect.  As a reader I just fell in and out of the story because some things I just didn't buy into.  It wasn't believable to me and  I was a bit frustrated throughout.  But, there were moments that I really enjoyed as well.  It's sort of a mixed bag for me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We bloggers live for comments! So, feel free to comment away! Thanks for dropping by.